Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Little Things


Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. 
Robert Brault 


While I was in high school, one of my teachers had a book next to the couch (yes the couch) in her classroom.  It was called 14,000 Things to be Happy About. Some of the older kids decided that we would have a "happy thing of the day", so we would all look through it and find that one thing and write it on the board.  It was something to look forward to every morning.  Writing it on the board, making that my happy thing of the day, even when I had nothing else to be happy about, that thing on the board could change my out look for the day.  For Christmas my sophomore year that teacher gave me a calendar of the 14,000 things to be happy about.  So that every day, even when that thing wasn't on the board, I had something to look forward to.  I still have a lot of them, and use them as little note papers or reminder notes. It's nice to have those little things.



I think that's something we all need to remember.  To have that one little thing, even on the worst day, having one thing to be happy about.  This blog is a journey.  A one year journey of staying positive.  So today I decided to crack my own copy of 14,000 things open and make myself be happy about one tiny thing every morning.  So that even if the day goes completely wrong- nothing in the apartment gets done, my paycheck isn't a good as I wish it was, Wade and I have a fight, I forget something important, or EVERYTHING just goes wrong, I have this one thing that I can be happy about.  So, every day when I post, I'm going to share the happy thing I found.  We used to do it by picking a random page, and then the first thing you see on the page (unless it was something that wouldn't make you happy or a repeat). Luckily today, I think God had a plan for me opening my book, because my happy thing today was truly the happiest thing I should remember every day!

Happy thing #1- Falling crazily, I'd-kill-or-be-killed-for-that-man in love. Page 411.

So maybe this being more positive challenge should start with being happy about just one thing every day, because I know it will lead to being happy every day, even when I don't have that one little thing.  So I challenge you to be happy about one little thing every day, and go buy this book, because it is most definitely worth the 9 bucks!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment