Friday, January 25, 2013

Not Knowing is Okay

Happy Thing of the Day: enjoying the aroma before your first sip- pg. 411

I have noticed recently that when I don't know what is going to happen, I get very anxious.  I noticed this as one of my favorite shows of all time came to an end (Private Practice).  The series finale was full of ups and downs and I had NO idea what would happen in the end.  I was so nervous, anxious, just straight up uneasy not knowing how this amazing show would end.  Luckily they ended the show absolutely perfect and I was thrilled and my nerves finally had time to rest.


I think a lot of us feel this way about our future.  When we don't know where the future will take us, what it will hold, who will be there with us, how it will end, we get frustrated, nervous, uneasy.  I am, for the first time, at a point where I have absolutely no idea what will happen even in the next 6 months.  I have never felt so lost in my life.  I always knew what the next step would hold, where I would be, as much as I could I knew what was going to happen.  I have NO CLUE, and it is unnerving, or at least it was until this last week.  My boyfriend doesn't plan, it irritates the hell out of me.  But his view is so short sighted, that when things come up, it doesn't rock his boat as much as it rocks mine.  He knows what he needs to know, and then whatever else happens, happens. 


He and I were talking, and I wanted a date and specifics for everything.  I saw the same irritation in his eyes as I felt.  He just looked at me and said the things we want to happen will happen, but when they happen is dependent on too many things, so all he could tell me is that they would be a reality.  I decided that I needed to look at things more like him (gosh can I pick 'em).


Rather than setting up a timeline, why not just have goals? Have a list of things you are certain will happen, but don't put a time limit on them, let them RUN THEIR COURSE! Why not trust that God has a plan, and that trying to make your own is just not going to go well.  God has a timeline, but it's one that He wants you to trust not know. 



Jeremiah 29:11

New International Version (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


So, I decided that I needed to make a list of things I knew would happen, and whenever they happen, they will happen.  It's sort of a reality check list.  These things will be my reality, but I cannot put a timeline on them, when it is time, they will happen.


My Reality Check List:

I WILL...


  • Graduate From College
  • Get Married (to Wade)
  • Move away from Wyoming
  • Have a steady full time job
  • Have extra money in my bank account
  • Get a new car
Are there things in your future you are anxious about? Maybe we need to give it to God and be content with knowing they will come when the time is right, when He thinks it's right. You just have to realize that not knowing can be okay, and maybe a GOOD thing! A chance to be spontaneous, a chance to calm your nerves, a chance to follow God.








No comments:

Post a Comment