Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Only I Know My Dreams

Happy Thing of the Day: "waking up before your alarm clock and realizing you have lots of sleep time left" (from thingstobehappyabout.com)

I love watching heated scenes in movies where one of the characters says in a very forceful tone "You don't know me!".  It happens in a LOT of movies. People don't like to be told who they are by someone else. Someone who makes an assumption about you that is just plain wrong, or perfectly right, you're just not willing to admit it.

It irritates us when someone thinks they know us better than we know ourselves. When you are talking to someone and the phrase "I know you" comes out, it hits us deep down inside and we want to just scream, NO YOU DON'T.

This has hit me a lot in the last month or so.  Talking to people about my new job, that I simply adore, and they assume that I will go follow "my dream" eventually, that this job is just for right now.  When I was in high school I wanted to be a teacher more than anything in the world. It was my passion, helping others, teaching students, interacting with little kids, it was a dream. I was rather good at it too. Volunteering at summer band camp and helping teach middle schoolers (my favorite) to play was just an amazing experience. It incorporated many of my talents, my passion for teaching and helping, doing for others, being with kids.  I started my college career as a music major, my passion and love for music soared.  My singing abilities grew tremendously. Then I found another course- elementary school. 4th and 5th graders were simply fantastic, and after some issues in the music world, I switched to a new major, but still in teaching. After some more issues, school became a secondary priority for all the wrong reasons, but it happened nonetheless. After switching to a general degree, I decided it was time to take some time off of school. And a new journey began.

For almost two months I had some time to reflect on my "dreams". I do want to be a teacher, mostly because I know I would be amazing at it.  But my sophomore and junior years of college I worked in admissions at the university, and I simply LOVED it.  I remember telling my parents that "this is the only other job I could ever do other than teaching". This new job found me in the midst of figuring out my dreams. Whatever job I have, as long as I enjoy it, is just a bonus along the path to my dreams. Everyone says "I know you" and that I've always wanted to be a teacher, it's my dream. True, it was a dream of mine, and still is, I would love to be a teacher, but it will not break my heart if it never happens. My true dream is to have a family. I want to be a wife and a mother and NO ONE can stop me. That dream is the one I want to come true, and it is. I have an amazing man who loves me and we are on the path to accomplishing that dream.  I am so close to having my dream I can taste it, smell it, see it in my future picture frames hanging on the walls of my future house that my love wants to build us. It's there, and I can have it, I will have it.
This dream has always been there, and has been the one I wanted the most. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11.  He knew the plan long before I did. He knew Wade was the person for me, He knew that there was another path besides the one I made for myself. And his plan is so much better than mine!

We also have to be willing to admit there is someone who KNOWS us better than we do know ourselves, that is Jesus. Psalm 139 talks about how He knows everything.  He knew us before we were born, He knows when we rise and when we sit, He knows EVERYTHING we do, and he knows what we will do before it happens. He is all knowing, we were created in His image. He has a plan for us, a dream that He knows will fulfill our souls and it is what He has planned. SO DO IT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment