Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I believe #3

Happy Thing of the Day: Fiances that spoil you rotten (like by buying you a new car....yep, that's me!!)

Here's day three of "I believe".  Today is so close to my heart, and it will be extremely present in this post.

I believe there is nothing more important than friendship

I know that many of you will disagree with me on this one, at least at first.  I promise though, if you hang in with me until the end, you might not think that way anymore.

When I say that I believe nothing is more important than friendship, I mean that with my deepest most being.  Friendship is the thing of miracles, of life changing, life improving wonderfulness.  Absolutely nothing can change your life like friendship, NOTHING!

I know that many people will say, "but family is so much more important", or "wait, the Jesus girl isn't putting God in that sentence"....and both would be correct.

Why does "friendship" have to define only non-blood related human beings?  Why is that the definition of "friend" that so many of us use in our vocabulary.  Why can't a friend encompass so much more than that?  To me, there are so many categories of friendship that it cannot truly be defined at all.

Perfect example...this lady pictured to the right.  This lady is my grandma Judy.  Is is, if you don't mind my gloating, the world's most incredible grandma.  This woman lives and breathes her grandchildren, and I must say, I know I get a little bit of special treatment because I'm the only granddaughter.  She and I have a relationship that cannot be touched by ANYONE!  I have shared almost every secret I have with this woman.  I would say the vast majority of conversations we have start with the phrase "don't tell mom, but...".  I am incredibly lucky, because I can honestly say that my grandma is one of my best friends.  I can talk to her for hours without running out of topics of conversation.  She knows exactly what I need, at exactly the precise moment.  This is a friendship I could not imagine my life without!

Then we get to the part about God.  A "relationship" with God means nothing without having a friendship with Him first.  Yes, He is my Father, my Maker, and my Redeemer, but He is also my Friend.  I can have conversations with Him like I can my best friend.  I sarcastically look up to the sky and ask Him "was that really necessary?" or "okay, I get it!".  I can trust my Maker because I have a deeper relationship with Him than just simply He is the one that created me and watches over me. He is the friend I can go to in my darkest hour, when I am lost and on a path that scares the living day lights out of me.  That friend comes and rescues me where I'm at.  He finds me and holds my hand, telling me everything will be alright.  Following God without knowing Him as closely and as honestly as a friend does, means you are blindly following a master, rather than walking beside Him as a Guide and Friend.

Then we get to friendship.  Can you honestly picture a world in which you didn't have friends outside of your family....YIKES. Sounds scary. Friendship is so necessary to survive.  I have had some incredible friendships throughout my life.  Some that have lasted for years and years.  There are so many levels a friendship can reach if you put in the time and emotions that it requires.  Someone knowing the scariest, darkest, most broken parts of you, but also knowing the parts that shine with joy, that kind of person in your life is essential.  Friendships help us grow, help us live, and most importantly, help us love.  Life without friendship seems so pointless.  I cannot begin to fathom my life without these ladies, they are some of the most important people in my life, and I am honored to call them my friends.

Friendship is essential, it is required, it is by far, the most important thing you can have in your life.  Just don't let walls block in your definition of friendship, because it will leave you with the possibility of so many more friendships being able to enter into your heart and change you!

No comments:

Post a Comment